Monday, April 11, 2016

Spicy Oven Baked chicken Tacos..... Farmer Approved.


Its spring, things are growing, things are being planted, the sun is out longer and therefore my farmer stays busy.  Just like I did last fall for Harvest I am doing a weekly post of dinner around here. Things I can make up in the afternoon and I can throw them in the oven a little bit before my farmer gets home. Things to make life a little easier and clean up a little less.


I’ll admit – this was much easier to do in the fall with harvest.  Food that time of the year it’s easier to do casserole (ish) things, heavier and meatier. I don’t want that this time of year. I want to grill, I want veggies and lemony things.... I want salads. That’s hard to do for a hard working farmer that’s been working outside all day. To come home to..... lettuce..... So I’m putting a spin on some of our favorite dinners to get us through this busy time.

Enter Spicy Chicken Baked Tacos (recipe below). These actually aren't very spicy. Maybe the rotel (crushed tomatoes) makes it a little spicier, but you can always change the variation of the heat to the recipe.... We love Mexican food and this is easy. And unlike most Mexican dishes I don’t have 847 dirty dishes and bowls.  I made it all up in the afternoon and baked it for 10 minutes right before my farmer got home. It was delicious.

Ingredients List:

1/2 lb Chicken, cooked
1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chiles,
1/2 cup Onion
1 (14.5 ounce) can Ro-tel
1/2 (16 ounce) can refried beans
1 (1 ounce) taco seasoning,
10 stand and stuff taco shells
2 cups Mexican blend cheese
 
You really must get the stand and stuff taco shells.... they make it so much easier and they make a larger taco - I ate two and was stuffed. 



I really wanted shredded chicken for this recipe. I grilled my chicken breasts like normal and put them in my Kitchen Aid.... perfect for shredding chicken last minute.


 
 

 


Stir together your can of green chile's and your can of crushed tomatoes...


Add to the chicken


Then add 1/2 an onion....




Spread a layer of refried beans on the bottom of your taco shell (next time I might try black beans, my farmer LOVES black beans). Add the chicken mixture and top with cheese....

 


 
 I wrapped them in foil and refrigerated until later that evening when my farmer got home - I was worried about them becoming soggy from sitting... but they were perfect...
 


 
For toppings we chose lettuce, avocados and black olives...


 
Bake for 10 minutes (or until cheese melts) on 350°.


 
 
YUM - it's only been a few days since we have had these and I'm already hungry for them again. 
 



 
Happy Monday...

1 comment:

  1. Making these for my farmer and little cowboy tonight! Thanks for sharing something soooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS