Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Fish Tacos……..Farmer Approved


Fish tacos are a favorite around here. We usually have them at least once every two weeks, sometimes once a week. Plus, in a few weeks my farmer and I will be in Mexico for 6 days-it seemed fitting that we get into the festive spirit.


Fish Tacos:

1 lime
1/2 bunch of cilantro 
1/2 red onion
2 pieces of fish (we love tilapia)
whole wheat tortillas
lettuce
1 can of black beans (Low Sodium)

Guacamole:
2 large avocados 
1 can of mexican style corn or Jalapeño corn 
1 lime
1/2 bunch of cilantro 
salt 
1/2 red onion



You really can use anything or add/substitute things. I have just recently added the corn to my recipe and when the tomatoes look good at the store, or are in season then i add a few of them. I have a lot of onions in mine because both my farmer and I love onions, but you don't have to add that many.


I mix up my guacamole first. Then my farmer and I munch on it as i finish cutting up veggies and getting things ready for dinner. It's a great way to unwind from the day and catch up on each other. Often times after dinner is done and cleaned up I hit my Macbook and blog (as I am doing now) and he hits his Macbook to look for a work truck. He has an obsession with trucks and buying new ones that I will never understand. I think it's a farmer thing.











First mash your avocados up in a medium sized bowl.



















Then add your onions and cilantro and stir together.



















Lastly, add the juice from 1 large lime and some salt to taste. Limes are a MUST. I actually forgot limes so my farmer ran back into town to get some from the store.








I prefer to make my own chips using whole wheat flour tortillas. I take 4 tortillas and slice them up into triangles. Spray a cookie sheet with a cooking spray, arrange the flour tortillas, spray a light coat of spray over the top and sprinkle with a little bit of salt.



Bake on 325º for 5-7 minutes. Then let them stand for another 5-7 minutes. They get flaky and crispy during that time. When they are fresh out of the oven they are too soft to be a chip.



YUMM…. They are delicious, i promise you won't buy another bag
of tortilla chips again.

Onto the fish tacos.

I use tilapia. I get it at Costco and both my farmer and I love it. It does not have a "fishy" taste at all.








Spray your pan with cooking spray, and i add a teeny tiny bot of olive oil so that my fish doesn't stick to the bottom or flake apart too soon.


















As soon as my fish is all browned up i chunk it up into little pieces
















Meanwhile, i chopped up 1/2 an onion and 1/2 bunch of cilantro


















Then i added my fish and squeezed a lime then added a little bit of salt.




Add it all to a wheat flour tortilla and chow down - just the same way my farmer and I did this evening. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS