Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pulled Pork Sandwiches…. Farmer Approved


Hi everyone,
I hope that you all had a great weekend. Today was so great outside, an amazing 60º. Sadly, I spent it all indoors…. I know i should have taken advantage of the non -10º weather that we had, but for those of you who know me, its playoff season.

Since I know that my farmer and I were going to spend a majority of the day in front of the t.v. I wanted something easy for dinner. I wasn't totally unproductive, I also did a little bit of cleaning (you know, on timeouts, commercials and at half time - ha-ha)

My farmer is a lover of pork, he and his family raised hogs for over 40 years. Although now him and his dad are row crop farmers only, when i ask my farmer what he would like for dinner, it's usually a pork request. While most of the time we try to eat leaner meats like chicken and fish, I always smile at his pork requests and imagine my farmer as a ten year old little boy helping his dad on their hog farm. That's usually about the time that I close my eyes and picture our little boy learning farm stuff from his dad. That makes me smile - this farm, my farmer and someday our future little farmer… That's what my dreams are all about.






This morning when I woke up I got a frozen pork roast out of the freezer and put it in the crock pot.

I put it on high (only since it was frozen) and added about 2 cups of water and some pepper. I don't add salt to pork because it's a saltier meat already.

After it cooked for about an hour or so I turned it on low and covered the top with barbecue sauce.















Once I could cut through the roast (about 2.5 hours) I took it out of the crockpot and sliced it into long strips.

















Then I returned it to the crock pot on low until about 20 minutes before we were ready to eat.
















Then I chopped my meat up smaller (perfect for a sandwich) and put it in a 9X13 pan. I also added a little bit of the drippings from the crock pot.



















Then I covered it with aluminum foil and put it in the oven for only about 10 minutes (or until the rest of your sides are done).















I prefer to buy breads from the local supermarket bakery as opposed to your regular packaged hamburger buns. Most of the time for sandwiches i get wheat kaiser rolls, and I always toast them in the oven before serving.












Add some pickles and onions, or whatever toppings you prefer and chow down, just like my farmer and I did this evening.












Now our stomachs are full we are sitting here reflecting on the great weekend that we had and getting everything ready for the next work week. Sunday evenings with my farmer are always some of my favorite. It's just us, relaxing and a little bit of quiet time before the busyness of the next week hits us both.  The house is clean, the laundry is caught up, there are no dishes in the sink, it's just him and I, and I can't help but think that this is a pretty perfect life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS