Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Over 30 and a Million Dollars in Debt......


Greetings from our farm - 

I got up this morning at 5:00 to head into town and work out. I had to turn my heated seats on - it was 54°... Soon enough I will think that temperature is amazing, but for a mid July morning - it was cold.

Our corn is loving it during pollination, but our beans could handle a little more heat.. I am a typical farm wife, it's either too dry or too wet, too hot, too cold, or too windy... We want rain, but we want a steady shower, not a storm.


We have been blessed, our crops are good. Most everyday at my job (My dad's fertilizer company) I hear farmers that have been farming for 50+ years talk about this being the best corn crop they have ever seen. The past 2 years have been dry, so it's a nice change.
 
 Although with a great harvest and full grain bins comes a dwindling grain market. It's now the topic of our dinner conversations. I have the "grain market app" on my phone and check it far more often than I care to admit. 

 Part of our paycheck depends on the weather and the good Lord is the only person that can control that. The other part comes from the grain market and that's pretty much controlled by everything (good and bad) that goes on in our world.

My farmer and I have always been very blessed with the things that we have. We are building our dream farmhouse, and we have never wanted for anything - that all comes from a lot of years of hard work and sacrifice (remember my post about me painting over 35 year old linoleum.)... talk about sacrifice.



Painting linoleum aside.... the real reason we have what we have is the sacrifice others made long before we were residents of this farmhouse. Sacrifices I will not forget, sacrifices I will make for my children, and sacrifices that, just like this land, will continue with our future generations. Our farm life is great - I would not want it any other way. But there is no guaranteed pay check every other Friday. Our income varies from year to year and season to season.


I read a great article this morning when I got home from my workout class and I must say - it hits close to home for us and I had to share with you all. My farmer may be a few years (plus a few years) over 30, but this article speaks for us, as I am sure it does most farmers and agriculture related jobs. 

It's from the blog of an Illinois Family Farm. Check out the article in the link below - it's a good read for farmers (or farmers wives) and might help put things into perspective for others as well.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS